07 March 2013

The other actor I

Having done work with performance outside traditional theatres and in non theatre spaces I've become used to using them.

I've tried to approach these spaces as if they are actors in the play and see what they can bring to the production. Wellington Fringe festivals had me using empty offices, a tv studio, cafes, a travel agent and writing plays for an empty office, a cinema and an auction house.

The Elmwood Auditorium, a disaster of a space, I used in different ways, including having a 30m deep stage for Macbeth. St Michael and All Angels Church is another case. I know this church better than any other, having been to school there, (including school services once a fortnight when I was young and once a month for he last few years) and being in the choir on Sundays for 4 years and being an altar boy and then thirifer for 2. My father's funeral was there and I've been to other funerals and weddings. It suits The Mousetrap, set in a Monastery the wood panelling and church features add to the production. But it's a pig In terms of many features for this script. The challenge is to use the space effectively, without proper wings and issues getting from one side to the other of the stage.

I want to see how we can make the silent cast member a star of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment